Welfare Worker – ANZSCO 272613

Welfare Workers assist individuals, families, and groups with social, emotional or financial difficulties to improve quality of life, by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment.
Skill Level
Alternative Titles
  • Welfare Case Worker
Skills Assessment Requirement

Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.

Skills Assessment authority for Welfare Worker is Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Relevant Qualification
    • Must possess a relevant qualification at AQF Level 5. This can be one of the following:
      • An ACWA accredited qualification – diploma or higher
      • A professionally accredited course assessed and recognised by ACWA as equivalent to an ACWA accredited AQF Level 7 degree or higher
      • A relevant bachelor’s degree or higher related to community services
  • Proficiency in English
    • Applicants must demonstrate their English proficiency in one of the following ways:
      • English language test results – must be within 3 years of the application
        • IETLS Level 7.0 in all bands
        • PTE Academic 65 in each band
        • Advanced (CAE) 185 in each band
        • TOEFL IBT PTE 24 in listening and reading, 27 in writing and 23 in speaking
      • Study conducted in English from a country where English is the main language
      • Two years of relevant industry experience in an English-speaking country
      • A suitable skills assessment that expired within the last 6 months
  • Employment and Currency
    • Applicants must demonstrate employment within the industry at an appropriate skill level within the last 4 years
      • Applicants with an ACWA accredited or recognised relevant qualification are deemed to have sufficient industry experience;
        • Note: if there are shortcomings identified, ACWA may ask the applicant to reapply after completing 3 months full time or part time equivalent industry experience
      • Applicants with a relevant bachelor’s degree must have a minimum of 2 years full time or part time equivalent industry experience within the last 4 years
    • Applicants must demonstrate their skills and knowledge are up to date by:
      • Holding a qualification that is less than 4 years old; or
      • A minimum of 3 months full-time employment or part-time equivalent in a relevant current role at the required skill level; or
      • At least 6 months relevant employment at the appropriate skill level in the past 18 months

Did you know?

There is a list of accredited courses by ACWA. It is better for you if you choose to study one of the accredited courses to get a positive skills assessment. Being an accredited course, it offers you the learning outcomes expected by ACWA, as well as provides you with work placement to fulfil the skills assessment criteria.

Potential Visa Pathways for Welfare Worker
ANZSCOOccupationSkills Assessment189190485 491 (State)491 (Family)186 (Direct)407 (Training)494 (regional Sponsored)482 (TSS Short
272613Welfare WorkerACWAxxxx

Group: 2726 Welfare, Recreation and Community Arts Workers

Design and implement strategies and programs to meet community and individual needs and assist individuals, families and groups with social, emotional and financial difficulties to improve quality of life by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment.
  • Researching and analysing community issues, needs and problems
  • Developing, evaluating and maintaining community resources and programs
  • Evaluating data and writing reports such as submissions requesting funding for continuing programs and new projects
  • Identifying issues of local need, concerns and aspirations through community consultation
  • Organising local sporting, cultural and recreational events and activities such as community functions, hobby classes, community arts projects and sporting competitions
  • Providing support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse
  • Assessing risks and providing intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises
  • Assisting to establish and administer neighbourhood houses, community groups, employment training programs and other services
Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
  • 272611 Community Arts Worker
  • 272612 Recreation Officer (Aus) / Recreation Coordinator (NZ)
  • 272613 Welfare Worker
How to calculate your points (skilled visas)

To apply for a skilled visa, you need to know how many points you can score. The minimum score to be eligible for application is 65 points. However, depending on your occupation, the competitiveness, and the states you are applying to, you might need to score more points to get an invite.

Points will be given to you based on the following:

Click here to calculate your points.

Subclass 190 visa– Skilled Nominated Visa & Subclass 491 visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa

To apply for visa subclass 190 and visa subclass 491, you need to have a nomination from the state/territory government where you want to live and work. Each State and Territory have individual requirements that must be met in order to receive nomination. (See below)

While the 190 visa is a permanent visa, subclass 491 visa gives you right to live and work in regional Australia for 5 years with a pathway to permanent residency through the subclass 191 visa.

Another difference between the 190 and 491 visa is that you can only apply for visa subclass 491 if you are living and working in regional areas in Australia, while it is not a requirement if you are applying for the 190 visa.

In summary, to be eligible for 190 visa, you need to meet the following criteria:

Immigration Points

Must score at least 65 points, or higher points if the state or territory requires.


Must have at least Competent English, i.e., IELTS 6.0 or equivalent, or higher if the state or territory requires.


Must be under 45 years of age.

be invited

Must lodge an EOI and be invited by the state or territory and then apply for the visa.

Skills assessment

Must have positive skills assessment. Each occupation has a specific assessing authority.


Must meet health and character requirements.

To check if the state/ territory government requirements for your occupation, refer to the following links

State/ Territory
Links to requirements
New South Wales
South Australia
Western Australia
Northern Territory
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

407  Training Visa

The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.

To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:


You must prove that you genuinely stay in Australia for training and will depart when you complete the training.

English Level

Must have Functional English, i.e. IELTS overall 4.5 with no band less than 4, or equivalent.


Must be over 18 years old.

Be Sponsored

You must be sponsored by an approved temporary activities sponsor – Can be an employer or a commonwealth agency

Health and Character

Must meet health and character requirements.

Subclass 494 visa – Skilled Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa

You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.

This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.


At least 3 years full-time work experience in the nominated occupation.


Must have at least Competent English, i.e., IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.


Must be under 45 years of age, unless exempt.

Be Sponsored

Must be sponsored by an Australian regional employer.

Subclass 482 visa – Temporary Skill Shortage (Short Term)

The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. The TSS short term stream visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 2 years each time you are granted this visa. You may apply for two 482 visas in the short stream onshore and subsequent ones offshore, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you. The TSS 482 short term stream does not have a path to permanent residency throught the 186 visa.

English Level

Must have IELTS atleast 5.0 with no band less than 4.5.


There is no age requirement for this visa.

Health and Character

Must meet health and character requirements.

Job Outlook

  • $1,374 AUD

    Weekly Earnings

  • 64%

    Work full time hours

  • Very Strong

    Growth expected in the next 5 years

  • 79% female

    Gender share

  • 41 hours

    Average full-time

  • Very High Skill

    Skill level rating

Book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find out more about your visa options and your path to Australian permanent residency or applying for citizenship.