New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa (subclass 461)
This visa allows a non-New Zealand family member of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia for up to five years.
- not be a New Zealand citizen
- be an eligible family member of a New Zealand citizen
- be an eligible family member of someone living in Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or be travelling to Australia with a family member who will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival.
Length of stay
From AUD 370
Who could get this visa
You might be able to get this visa if:
- you are not a New Zealand citizen
- you are a member of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen
- your New Zealand citizen family member is not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen
- your New Zealand citizen family member is living in Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or will be travelling with you to Australia and will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival.
You must be related to the New Zealand citizen as one of the following:
- their partner
- their child/step-child or their partner’s child/step-child
- the dependent child of you or your partner’s child/step-child.
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to you and any members of your family unit included in your application.
You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.
You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
You might have to hold private health insurance with an Australian fund for the duration of your visa. Your case officer will advise you if you must do this.
You must meet certain character requirements. You will need to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
This also applies to all members of your family unit included in your application who are 16 years of age or older.
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
About this visa
The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) allows someone who is not a New Zealand citizen to live in Australia with a family member who:
- is a New Zealand citizen, but not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen
- and either
- holds a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is living in Australia, or
- is eligible to hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is accompanying you to Australia.
What this visa lets you do
This visa allows you to:
- work and study in Australia
- travel to, enter and remain in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.
- You might have to pay additional costs for:
- additional applicant 18 and over
- additional applicant under 18
You could have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments and police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.
Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.
Applying in Australia:
You must be in Australia when the application is lodged and the visa is granted.
Applying outside Australia
You must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.
How long the visa lasts
This visa is valid for up to five years from the date it is granted.
Extend your stay
You can apply for another New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461).
You can include your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child in you visa application at the time of lodgement.
These family members will need to provide evidence that they are members of the family unit of the New Zealand citizen. They must also be able to meet Australia’s health and character requirements.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.