Training visa (subclass 407)

The Training Subclass 407 Visa is a short stay visa for people to undergo occupational training or professional development in Australia. The Training visa allows people to undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements; to enhance skills in their occupation; or for capacity building overseas.

The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia for 2 years. The visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training specified in the visa application. You must also maintain your health insurance whilst in Australia.

The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application. Family members (spouses and children) can be included in the application.

COMMON VISA CRITERIA There are two eligibility pathways for the visa. However, all applicants must show that they:

·          Have turned 18

·          Have functional English

·          Hold private health insurance

·          Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended    purpose

·          Meet health and character requirements

Sponsorship by an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is required.



This stream requires a nomination by the sponsor to do one of the following activities in Australia:

·          Training required to obtain registration, membership or a licence to work in Australia or home country

·          Training be in the 407 Training Visa Occupations List – in this case, the applicant must have recent and suitable prior experience. Recent and suitable experience includes employment or study experience that:

    • Is equivalent of at least 12 months full-time experience in the occupation
    • Has occurred in the 24 months immediately before the nomination is lodged.

·          Up to 6 months of practical experience, research or observation is required to obtain an overseas qualification

·          Training supported by a government agency or the applicant’s home government

Occupational training would generally require at least 70% of the training to be on-the-job versus classroom training.

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT This would require you to be working overseas in a management or professional position. Training is primarily classroom training and would need to be in skills relevant to your position.


The 407 visa is granted for a specific period, anywhere from six months to two years. The Immigration Case Officer will decide the length of the visa based on how much training they think you need. At the end of the 407 visa, you may be eligible for another type of visa.

If you are outside Australia at time of grant, this visa allows you to:

·          to travel to and enter Australia after your visa is granted and

·          remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of two years), which begins on the day you first enter Australia.

If you are in Australia at time of grant, this visa allows you to:

·          remain in Australia during the stay period granted (up to a maximum of two years), which begins on the date your visa is granted.

The duration of stay (stay period) you have been granted will be consistent with the requirements of your training position or professional development programme.

When you receive your visa, you are issued with a visa grant notification letter that explains the conditions of your visa, including the stay period and entry requirements.

NOMINATION BY AN EMPLOYER Your employer must nominate you (and they cannot be a sole trader or an individual).
Work conditions Condition 8102: Main applicant must not engage in work in Australia other than in relation to the holder’s course of study or training.

Condition 8104: Secondary applicants must not engage in work for more than 40 hours a fortnight while the holder is in Australia.

Visa processing time A Training (Subclass 407) Visa –is processed in approximately 71 days to 4 months. If your current visa is due to expire, we may be able to lodge your 407 visa so you can remain in Australia on a bridging visa during the processing time.
Visa Subclass Base Application Charge Additional Applicant Charge 18 And Over Additional Applicant Charge Under 18 Non-Internet Application Charge Subsequent Temporary Application Charge

Book a consultation today for a briefing with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find more about your visa options.