Work Visas

​If you want to come to Australia to work you will need a visa that suits the work you intend to do. The main Work visas or visas that allow you to work in Australia are:

Subclass 482- Temporary Skill Shortage visa

The TSS 482 visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker. You must have an employer willing to sponsor you for this visa. You must be nominated to work in an occupation on the list of eligible skilled occupations, have at least 2 years relevant work experience in your nominated occupation or a related field, have a relevant skills assessment if this is required for your occupation, work only for your sponsor or associated entity, unless you are exempt. You must also meet minimum standards of English language proficiency unless you are exempt from needing to show this.

Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186)

This 186 visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by an employer, live and work in Australia permanently. Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations. Unless exempt, most applicants need to have at least 3 years relevant work experience in their occupation. You must be licensed, registered or a member of a professional body if it is mandatory in the state or territory you intend to work in. Most applicants need to have a skills assessment that shows they have the skills to work in the nominated position. You must be nominated by an Australian employer whose business is actively and lawfully operating. Usually, you must be under 45 years of age when you apply.

Subclass 494 -Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa

This visa enables regional employers to address identified labour shortages within their region by sponsoring skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker. You must be nominated to work in an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list, have at least 3 years relevant work experience in your nominated occupation, have a relevant skills assessment, unless an exemption applies, work only for your sponsor or associated entity, unless an exemption applies. be under 45 years of age, unless an exemption applies and meet minimum standards of English language proficiency.

​​​Designated area migration agreements (DAMA) – (Subclass 482 to Subclass 186)

A designated area migration agreement (DAMA) is a formal agreement between the Australian Government and a regional, state or territory authority. It provides access to more overseas workers than the standard skilled migration program. DAMAs operate under an agreement-based framework, providing flexibility for regions to respond to their unique economic and labour market conditions. Employers are able to sponsor skilled and semi-skilled overseas workers for positions they are unable to fill with local workers.

Subclass 400 – Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa

The SC400 Highly Specialised Work stream of this temporary visa lets you do short-term, highly specialised work in Australia. It is suitable if you have specialised skills, knowledge or experience not generally available in Australia. You must have highly specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can help Australian business and can’t reasonably be found in Australia, and only do the work or activities for which your visa was granted. You can be granted for up to 6 months (depending on the circumstances). Generally, for a stay period longer than 3 months, a strong business case must be provided with the application. You can’t apply for this visa in Australia or stay longer by extending this visa.

Subclass 407 – Training visa

The 407 visa allows you to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills for your job, area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development training program in Australia. With this visa you can visit Australia to complete a workplace-based training (to improve your skills for your current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise), or a professional development training program.

Subclass 417 and 462 – Work and Holiday visas
For young adults who want an extended holiday and to work here to fund it. This visa lets people 18 to 30 years old (or 35 years old for some countries) have their first extended holiday in Australia and work here to help fund their trip. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​You must have a passport from an eligible country or jurisdiction, you can work while you are here and you can apply for a second and third Working Holiday visa if you meet certain eligibility criteria.

Graduate Temporary 485 visas

The 485 visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations Australia needs or graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily. Graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions are now able to apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate visa outside Australia – they must hold or have held an eligible Student visa.
​​​​​​​​​​You can work in Australia,  you can bring your family with you and you need a recent degree a CRICOS-registered course.

Skilled migration visas

Visas for skilled migrants to live and work anywhere in Australia.

Business investment visas

Visas for entrepreneurs, investors and business owners to continue activity in Australia, and to establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia. This provisional visa is for people with business skills. It lets you operate a new or existing business in Australia and has a pathway to PR through the 888 visa.

Global Talent visas

GTI Visas are for people who have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in an eligible field, including Global Talent pathway and Distinguished Talent pathway applicants.

Book a meeting today for a commitment free briefing with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find more about your visa options.