Subclass 186 visa – Employer Nomination Scheme

If you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, you may be eligible for a Subclass 186 visa. This visa is permanent and will allow you to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely. To be eligible for this visa, you need to have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and a positive skills assessment. Alternatively, if you are a holder of a Subclass 457 or TSS visa, you can apply for Subclass 186 after working for your employer for at least 3 years under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.


At least 3-year fulltime work experience in the nominated occupation.


Must have at least Competent English, i.e., IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.


Must be under 45 years of age, unless exempt.

Be Sponsored

Must be sponsored by an Australian employer.

Skills assessment

Must have a positive skills assessment. Exemptions apply for the 186TRT.


Must meet health and character requirements.