Carer Visa (subclass 116 and 836)


This visa allows individuals to come to Australia to provide care to their relatives who requires support due to long term or permanent medical conditions. The difference between subclass 116 and 836 is whether the applicant is inside or outside while lodging the application and when the visa is granted.

  • Carer visa (subclass 116): Offshore
  • Carer visa (subclass 836): Onshore
Length of Stay



From AUD $2,065

Second instalment of AUD $2,065 for each person included on the application may be waived if the Minister of Home Affairs is satisfied that the payment of the second instalment has caused, or is likely to cause, severe financial hardship to the applicant or to the person of whom the applicant is a carer


Who could get this visa

You might be eligible for this visa if:

  • You are able to provide ongoing care and assistance for a relative and their spouse or de facto partner who lives in the same house
  • You and your family members meet health and character requirements

Who is considered as ‘relative’:

  • Partner, child, parent, brother, sister, stepchild, step-parent, stepbrother, stepsister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or step equivalent

Who is your sponsor

Your sponsor (relative) or their partner must require substantial ongoing care and support due to a long-term or permanent medical condition.

Your sponsor must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • An Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen

Following are the list of requirements that the sponsor must meet:

  • Have not been able to receive care they need from another source in Australia such as from another relative or an Australian welfare, hospital nursing or community service
  • Have been assessed or be in the process of arranging an assessment with Bupa Medical Visa Services to obtain a medical certificate stating that the sponsor or the sponsor’s partner has a medical condition which:
    1. Causes physical, intellectual or sensory impairment
    2. Means the sponsor or the partner will need help with practical aspects of daily life for at least 2 years
    3. Have agreed to provide housing and financial support for the first 2 years the applicant and any members of the applicant’s family lives in Australia

You must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

This also applies to all the members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This also applies to all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Sign the Australian Values Statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws. The statement is included in the visa application form. You must have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia book before you sign the statement.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australians Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

Please complete our Parent visa assessment form to determine your eligibility. VisaEnvoy are industry leaders and your trusted migration agents and immigration lawyers in Melbourne with offices across Australia.

Book an appointment today for a detailed assessment with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find more about your visa options.