Optometrist – ANZSCO 251411
- Performs eye examinations and vision tests to determine the presence of visual, ocular and other abnormalities, ocular diseases and systemic diseases with ocular manifestations, and prescribes lenses, other optical aids, therapy and medication to correct and manage vision problems and eye diseases. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
See if caveats apply to this occupation for an Australian visa here.
Skills Assessment Authority: OCANZ
Group: 2514 Optometrists and Orthoptists
- perform eye examinations and vision tests, prescribe lenses, other optical aids and therapy, and diagnose and manage eye movement disorders and associated sensory problems.
- examining patients’ eyes and setting tests to determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- assessing ocular health and visual function by measuring visual acuity and refractive error, and testing the function of visual pathways, visual fields, eye movements, freedom of vision and intraocular pressure, and performing other tests using special eye test equipment
- detecting, diagnosing and managing eye disease, referring patients to, and receiving referrals from other health providers, and prescribing medications for the treatment of eye disease
- diagnosing eye movement disorders and defects of binocular function
- prescribing lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids, and checking suitability and comfort
- prescribing exercises to coordinate movement and focusing of eyes
- managing programs for eye movement disorders, and instructing and counselling patients in the use of corrective techniques and eye exercises
- advising on visual health matters such as contact lens care, vision care for the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, and occupational and industrial eye safety
- conducting preventative screening programs
- conducting rehabilitation programs for the visually impaired
- Skill Level
- Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 251411 Optometrist
- 251412 Orthoptist