Nurse Manager – ANZSCO 254311
- Nurse Managers manage a health service unit or sub-unit of a hospital, aged care or community health care facility, supervises nursing staff and financial resources to enable the provision of safe, cost-effective nursing care within a specified field or for a particular unit, and monitors quality, clinical standards and professional development of nurses.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Charge Nurse
- Nurse Supervisor
- Nurse Unit Manager
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Nurse Manager is Australian Nursing & Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- ANMAC uses five criteria to assess the skills of applicants. Applicants are required to meet all requirements to obtain a positive skills assessment
- Proof of Identity
- Applicants must provide evidence of passport, change of name documents and a passport sized photo
- English Language Proficiency
- IELTS Academic Test – minimum score of 7 in each component
- OET – minimum score of B in each component
- PTE Academic – minimum overall score of 65
- TOEFL iBT – minimum total score of 94 and minimum scores of 24 in listening and reading, 27 in writing and 23 in speaking
- Educational Equivalence
- Applicants are assessed against the current Australian nursing and midwifery educational standards
- Applicants must provide graduation certificates and basic transcripts from all nursing or midwifery courses that are completed
- Full Applicants must also provide a transcript that details the number of hours completed in both theoretical and practical components of the relevant nursing or midwifery course
- Professional Practice
- The applicant must have practised as a nurse or midwife in the past 5 years
- Applicants must provide professional references that meet the following criteria:
- Official letterhead
- Written by a direct supervisor who is a nurse or midwife
- Contain an original signature
- Includes hospital email address and contact phone number for organisation *note mobile numbers are not accepted
- ANMAC provide a Professional Reference Template for applicants to use
- Proof of Identity
ANMAC provide videos on their website to assist applicants with the application process for a skills assessment.
Potential Visa Pathways for Nurse Manager
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Short
Group: 2543 Nurse Managers
- Manage health service units and sub-units of hospitals, aged care and community health care facilities, supervise nursing staff and financial resources to enable the provision of safe, cost effective nursing care within specified fields or for particular units, and monitor quality, clinical standards and professional development of nurses.
Directors of Nursing are excluded from this unit group. Directors of Nursing are included in Unit Group 1342 Health and Welfare Services Managers.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring policies and objectives of nursing care as they apply to units, staff and community groups
- Coordinating the allocation of human and material resources for a health service unit such as recruitment of staff, human resource management, preparation of budgets and fiscal management
- Monitoring and controlling the performance of nursing and support staff within the unit, and providing leadership
- Initiating studies to evaluate the effectiveness of nursing services in the unit in relation to objectives, costs and nursing care
- Promoting working relationships with community agencies and health and education providers
- Contributing to organisational objectives in relation to quality, safety and risk management
- Skill Level
- Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least five years relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 254311 Nurse Manager
Subclass 190 visa– Skilled Nominated Visa & Subclass 491 visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
To apply for visa subclass 190 and visa subclass 491, you need to have a nomination from the state/territory government where you want to live and work. Each State and Territory have individual requirements that must be met in order to receive nomination. (See below)
Another difference between the 190 and 491 visa is that you can only apply for visa subclass 491 if you are living and working in regional areas in Australia, while it is not a requirement if you are applying for the 190 visa.
In summary, to be eligible for 190 visa, you need to meet the following criteria:
To check if the state/ territory government requirements for your occupation, refer to the following links
Links to requirements
|New South Wales||
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)|
The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.
To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. The TSS short term stream visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 2 years each time you are granted this visa. You may apply for two 482 visas in the short stream onshore and subsequent ones offshore, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you. The TSS 482 short term stream does not have a path to permanent residency throught the 186 visa.