Microbiologist – ANZSCO 234517
- Studies microscopic forms of life such as bacteria, viruses and protozoa.
- Skill Level
- Bacteriologist (Non-medical)
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
See if caveats apply to this occupation for an Australian visa here.
Skills Assessment Authority: VETASSESS
Group: 2345 Life Scientists
- examine the anatomy, physiology and biochemistry of humans, animals, plants and other living organisms to better understand how living organisms function and interact with each other and the environment in which they live.
- designing and conducting experiments, making observations and measurements, researching information, analysing data, preparing or supervising the preparation of laboratory reports and scientific papers, presenting findings at scientific meetings and conferences, and supervising the work of staff
- studying the forms and structures of bodily organs and tissues by systematic observation, dissection and microscopic examination
- investigating the chemical structure and function of living cells and their isolated components, organs and tissues in humans, animals, plants, and micro-organisms
- examining micro-organisms, such as bacteria, fungi, yeast and their enzymes, and using the knowledge gained to create and develop new, and improve existing, products, materials and processes
- investigating the effects of environmental factors, such as rainfall, temperature, sunlight, soil, topography and disease, on plant growth
- planning and undertaking experiments to study, measure and understand marine animals and plants
- studying the growth and characteristics of micro-organisms, such as bacteria, algae and fungi, and the effects they have on plants, animals and humans to develop medical, veterinary, industrial, environmental and other practical applications
- investigating the interrelationships between animals in their natural surroundings, in captivity and in laboratories
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 234511 Life Scientist (General)
- 234513 Biochemist
- 234514 Biotechnologist
- 234515 Botanist
- 234516 Marine Biologist
- 234517 Microbiologist
- 234518 Zoologist
- 234599 Life Scientists nec