Vocational Education Teacher (Aus) / Polytechnic Teacher (NZ) – ANZSCO 242211
- Vocational Education Teachers teach one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at technical and further education (TAFE) institutes, polytechnics, and other training institutes to tertiary students for vocational education and training purposes.
- Skill Level
- Adult Education Teacher
- TAFE Lecturer
- TAFE Teacher
- Workplace Trainer and Assessor
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Vocational Education Teacher (non-trades) is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS) and the skills assessment authority for Vocational Education Teacher (trades) is Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).
To have a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS, you must meet the following criteria:
- Qualification assessed at Australian Bachelor Degree or higher with a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years
- To achieve a positive skills assessment, the applicant must meet the qualification and employment experience requirements.
To have a positive skills assessment from TRA, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must have successfully completed an AQF Qualification either a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or formal training that is comparable
- Must possess skills that are current to Australian industry standards demonstrated by 12 months full time employment or equivalent part-time in the occupation in the previous three years
- If you have obtained a qualification internationally or an Australian qualification that was not through the Australian Recognition of Learning process, you are required to demonstrate 3 years full time or equivalent post-qualification experience
- If you have obtained an Australian qualification issued through the Australian Recognition of Learning process, you are required to demonstrate 3 years full-time or equivalent post-qualification experience OR 6 years full-time or equivalent experience which can be either pre- or post-qualification
Vocational Education Teachers are split into two categories for the purpose of skills assessment.
- Vocational Education Teachers (non-trade) are assessed by VETASSESS
- Vocational Education Teachers (trade) are assessed by TRA
It is important that you apply to the appropriate skills assessment body.
Potential Visa Pathways for Vocational Education Teacher
|494 (regional Sponsored)
|482 (TSS Medium
|Vocational Education Teacher
Group: 2422 Vocational Education Teachers (Aus) or Polytechnic Teachers (NZ)
- VOCATIONAL EDUCATION TEACHERS (AUS) / POLYTECHNIC TEACHERS (NZ) teach one or more subjects within a prescribed course of study at technical and further education (TAFE) institutes, polytechnics and other training institutes to tertiary students for vocational education and training purposes.
- Identifying the various needs of students and creating effective learning options to meet these needs
- Liaising with individuals, industry and education sectors to ensure provision of relevant programs and services
- Planning, designing and developing course curriculum and method of instruction
- Advising students on courses and related matters
- Teaching students using teaching aids including presentation of lesson materials, discussions, workshops, laboratory sessions, multimedia aids and computer tutorials
- Marking and grading students’ assignments, papers and exams and providing feedback to students about their progress
- Maintaining records of students’ progress, attendance and training activities
- Consulting with Education Managers, Librarians, Student Counsellors and other support staff
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification or a postgraduate diploma in adult education. In some instances relevant industry and vocational education experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 242211 Vocational Education Teacher (Aus) / Polytechnic Teacher (NZ)
How to calculate your points (skilled visas)
To apply for a skilled visa, you need to know how many points you can score. The minimum score to be eligible for application is 65 points. However, depending on your occupation, the competitiveness, and the states you are applying to, you might need to score more points to get an invite.
Points will be given to you based on the following:
- Educational Qualifications
- Points for Professional Year
- Points for NAATI- Credentialled Community Language
- Points for 2 Year Study
- Points for English
- Points for Regional Study
- Points for Work Experience
- Points for Specialist Educational Qualifications (STEM)
- Points for Partner
Click here to calculate your points.
Subclass 190 visa– Skilled Nominated Visa & Subclass 491 visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
To apply for visa subclass 190 and visa subclass 491, you need to have a nomination from the state/territory government where you want to live and work. Each State and Territory have individual requirements that must be met in order to receive nomination. (See below)
Another difference between the 190 and 491 visa is that you can only apply for visa subclass 491 if you are living and working in regional areas in Australia, while it is not a requirement if you are applying for the 190 visa.
In summary, to be eligible for 190 visa, you need to meet the following criteria:
To check if the state/ territory government requirements for your occupation, refer to the following links
Links to requirements
|New South Wales
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.
To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. This visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 4 years. You may apply for as many 482 visas as you want, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you.
Please note that according to the Department of Home Affairs, caveats apply to this visa type. Subclass 482 visa is only granted to Vocational Education Teachers who have an employer in a regional area of Australia.