Midwife – ANZSCO 254111
- Provides care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and childbirth, and postnatal care for women and babies in a range of settings such as the home, community, hospitals, clinics and health units. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Certified Midwife
- Registered Midwife
- Community Midwife
- Midwife Practitioner
This occupation is on the following skills lists:
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
See if caveats apply to this occupation for an Australian visa here.
Skills Assessment Authority: Medical Board of Australia
Group: 2541 Midwives
- provide care and advice to women during pregnancy, labour and childbirth, and postnatal care for women and babies in a range of settings such as the home, community, hospitals, clinics and health units.
- providing advice and support during pre-conception, intrapartum, antenatal and postnatal periods in partnership with women
- providing care and management of pregnancy and birth
- assessing progress and recognising warning signs of abnormal and potentially abnormal pregnancies requiring referral to an Obstetrician
- monitoring the condition of women and foetuses during pregnancy and throughout labour
- conducting health education classes and seminars to promote the health of mothers and babies such as reproductive health, antenatal education, preparation for parenthood and breastfeeding
- providing advice on nutrition, childcare and family planning
- Skill Level
- Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
- Occupations in this Group