Facilities Manager – ANZSCO 149913
- Organises, controls and coordinates the strategic and operational management of buildings and facilities in a public and private organisations to ensure the proper and efficient operation of all physical aspects of a facility, to create and sustain safe and productive environments for occupants.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Building Manager
- Shopping Centre Manager
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Facilities Manager is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS). To To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Three pathways for skills assessment by SSSI
- Pathway A – Qualification(s) assessed at least AQF Diploma level with a highly relevant field of study and at least one year of postqualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;
- Pathway B – Qualification(s) assessed at least AQF Diploma level with an additional qualification at least AQF Certificate IV in a highly relevant field of study and at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;
- Pathway C – Qualification(s) assessed at least AQF Diploma level without a highly relevant field of study and at least two years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years;
- Note: For pre-qualification employment (if all of your employment is before your qualification assessed at the AQF bachelor degree level), five years of highly relevant employment in addition to at least one year of highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years.
- Three pathways for skills assessment by SSSI
Potential Visa Pathways for Facilities Manager
ANZSCO Occupation Skills Assessment 189 190 485 491 (State) 491 (Family) 186 (Direct) 407 (Training) 494 (regional Sponsored) 482 (TSS Short Term) 149913 Facilities Manager VETASSESS x √ x √ x x √ √ √
Group: 1499 Other Hospitality, Retail and Service Managers
- This unit group covers Hospitality, Retail and Service Managers not elsewhere classified.
It includes Boarding Kennel or Cattery Operators, Cinema or Theatre Managers, Facilities Managers, Financial Institution Branch Managers and Equipment Hire Managers.
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 149911 Boarding Kennel or Cattery Operator
- 149912 Cinema or Theatre Manager
- 149913 Facilities Manager
- 149914 Financial Institution Branch Manager
- 149915 Equipment Hire Manager
- 149999 Hospitality, Retail and Service Managers nec
Subclass 190 visa– Skilled Nominated Visa & Subclass 491 visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
To apply for visa subclass 190 and visa subclass 491, you need to have a nomination from the state/territory government where you want to live and work. Each State and Territory have individual requirements that must be met in order to receive nomination. (See below)
Another difference between the 190 and 491 visa is that you can only apply for visa subclass 491 if you are living and working in regional areas in Australia, while it is not a requirement if you are applying for the 190 visa.
In summary, to be eligible for 190 visa, you need to meet the following criteria:
To check if the state/ territory government requirements for your occupation, refer to the following links
Links to requirements
|New South Wales||
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)|
The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.
To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. The TSS short term stream visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 2 years each time you are granted this visa. You may apply for two 482 visas in the short stream onshore and subsequent ones offshore, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you. The TSS 482 short term stream does not have a path to permanent residency throught the 186 visa.
According to the Department of Home Affairs, caveats apply to this type of visa. Subclass 482 visa excludes any positions that are located in a commercial building or shopping centre environment predominantly involve managing the provision of only one particular service to a facility or managing one particular relationship.
- Example: Managing the cleaning contract for a facility but not other contracts relevant to the facility.