Careers Counsellor – ANZSCO 272111
- Careers Counsellors provide individuals and groups with information about career choices and assists individuals with self-development.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Careers Adviser
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Careers Counsellor is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- A qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.
- Applicants must also have at least one year of highly relevant, post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years.
- Highly relevant major fields of study include:
- Fields of study usually deemed not highly relevant: Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Work, Mental Health Nursing, Special Education
Potential Visa Pathways for Careers Counsellor
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Short Term)|
Group: 2721 Counsellors
- provide information on vocational, relationship, social and educational difficulties and issues, and work with people to help them to identify and define their emotional issues through therapies such as cognitive behaviour therapy, interpersonal therapy and other talking therapies.
- working with clients on career, study and employment options by obtaining and examining information relevant to their abilities and needs
- providing information and resources to assist clients with job-seeking skills
- assessing client needs in relation to treatment for drug and alcohol abuse
- conducting counselling interviews with individuals, couples and family groups
- assisting the understanding and adjustment of attitudes, expectations and behaviour to develop more effective interpersonal and marital relationships
- presenting alternative approaches and discussing potential for attitude and behaviour change
- consulting with clients to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational and social needs
- contributing information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assisting parents and teachers in dealing with these needs
- may work in a call centre
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 272111 Careers Counsellor
- 272112 Drug and Alcohol Counsellor
- 272113 Family and Marriage Counsellor
- 272114 Rehabilitation Counsellor
- 272115 Student Counsellor
- 272199 Counsellors nec
Subclass 190 visa– Skilled Nominated Visa & Subclass 491 visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa
To apply for visa subclass 190 and visa subclass 491, you need to have a nomination from the state/territory government where you want to live and work. Each State and Territory have individual requirements that must be met in order to receive nomination. (See below)
Another difference between the 190 and 491 visa is that you can only apply for visa subclass 491 if you are living and working in regional areas in Australia, while it is not a requirement if you are applying for the 190 visa.
In summary, to be eligible for 190 visa, you need to meet the following criteria:
To check if the state/ territory government requirements for your occupation, refer to the following links
Links to requirements
|New South Wales||
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)|
The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.
To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. The TSS short term stream visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 2 years each time you are granted this visa. You may apply for two 482 visas in the short stream onshore and subsequent ones offshore, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you. The TSS 482 short term stream does not have a path to permanent residency throught the 186 visa.