Medibank are an integrated healthcare company that provides private health insurance and health solutions including Overseas Student Health Cover. Medibank has more than 45 years of experience and is committed to the health and wellbeing of their customers.
General Overview of Medibank Overseas Visitor Health Cover
Why choose Medibank?
For visa subclass 482, 485, 403, 407, 408, 489 and more. Coming to Australia to work? Or moving onto a graduate visa looking for your first job here? Medibank’s range of overseas workers health covers can meet your visa health insurance requirements, while helping with the cost of medical treatment if you have an accident or get sick.
What visas does Medibank OVHC provide cover for?
Medibank OVHC includes cover for:
- 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist)
- 403 Temporary Work (International Relations)
- 407 Training
- 408 Temporary Activity
- 417 Working Holiday
- 457 Temporary Work (Skilled)
- 462 Work and Holiday
- 482 Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS)
- 485 Temporary Graduate
What are the benefits of joining Medibank for OVHC?
The following are benefits of joining Medibank for your OVHC:
- 24/7 Medibank Nurse and Mental Health Service
- Visa compliant cover
- Protect against the unexpected – unlimited emergency ambulance services Australia-wide
What OVHC options does Medibank have?
Medibank has four types of cover for overseas visitors:
- Overseas Workers Base Hospital
- Overseas Workers Standard Hospital and Medical
- Overseas Workers Advanced Hospital and Medical
- Overseas Workers Premium Hospital, Medical and Extras
Medibank Overseas Visitor Health Cover
|Health Insurance Benefits||Medibank|
|Meets government requirements||√|
|Instant visa letter||√|
|Out of Hospital Treatment|
|Antenatal, postnatal and psychiatric benefits||x|
|Hospital Types Covered|
|Private hospitals - agreement||√|
|Private hospitals - non-agreement||Minimum benefits|
|In Hospital Inclusions|
|Excess||$500 per year per person|
Public and Agreement
|Prescription Medicines (in hospital)||√
Public and Agreement
|Surgical implanted prosthesis||√
Public and Agreement
|Accident and emergency services||√
100% of MBS
|In Hospital Specific Services|
|Pregnancy and related services||√|
|Psychiatric or palliative care||√|
|Bone marrow and organ transplant||√|
|IVF and Assisted repoductive services||√|
|Emergency ambulance services||√|
|Repatriation to home country||√|
|In-patient psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care||2 months|
|Pre-existing conditions||12 months|
|Pregnancy and related services||12 months|
|Out of hospital prescription medicines||x|
Can I buy my OVHC before I arrive in Australia?
Yes. You can buy Medibank OVHC directly online.
When does my Medibank OVHC start?
When you buy your Medibank OVHC online, you become a member from the date of your arrival in Australia. However, if you do not pay your OVHC premium before your date of arrival, your commencement date will be the date your OVHC premium is first paid.
If you purchase your Medibank OVHC while you are already in Australia, it will start on the day you join.
What does the Medibank OVHC not cover?
Medibank OVHC does not cover the following under the insurance policy:
- Cosmetic treatment
- Podiatric surgery performed by a non-registered podiatric surgeon
- Treatment not considered medically necessary i.e. health screening services required for employment or visa renewal
- Surgically implanted prostheses and other items not included on the government’s Prostheses List
- Same-day procedures as not requiring hospitalisation
- Where a provider charges for two or more consultations on the same day
- Optical items and ancillary services such as dental or physiotherapy
- Transportation into or out of Australia
Note: This is not a complete list of exclusions. Please ensure you conduct independent research prior to taking out OSHC.
How can I make an OVHC claim with Medibank?
To make an OVHC claim with Medibank, there are three options:
- Direct billing for Medibank benefit providers
- By Post
- At a Medibank store
- Online via Medibank website or Medibank OSHC app