CBHS International

CBHS International specialises in affordable health care for those looking to study in Australia. CBHS International ensures that all products are visa compliant. Overseas student health cover is for overseas/international students and is part of Visa requirement 500 allowing you to study in Australia. This insurance provider offers affordable health cover for students and visitors with a 24/7 phone helpline (and interpreters) to help you navigate the Australian health system

General Overview of CBHS International Overseas Visitor Health Cover

Your working holiday or holiday visa in Australia may come with a requirement to hold Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC). OVHC provides insurance cover for the following visa types:

  • 482 (temporary skill shortage)
  • 485 (temporary graduate)
  • 457 (temporary work – skilled)
  • 403 (temporary work – international relations)
  • 408 (temporary activity)
  • 407 (training visa)
  • 476 (skilled – recognised graduate)
  • 590 (student guardian)
  • 489 (skilled regional)
  • 400 (temporary work short stay specialist)
  • 010 (bridging Visa A)
  • 020 (bridging Visa B)
  • 030 (bridging Visa C)

Visa Compliance and CBHS International OVHC

CBHS is governed by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), the Department of Health and the Department of Home Affairs which has been established by the Australian Government to oversee health insurance companies and protect the financial well-being of the Australian community. This also includes ensuring appropriate benefits for overseas visitors and students visiting, working or studying in Australia are provided by insurers. As a registered provider for overseas working visitors and international students, CBHS International is required to comply with these standards.

OVHC Health Cover

Health Insurance BenefitsCBHS International Health
Visa Compliance
Meets government requirements
Instant visa letter
Out of Hospital Treatment
Doctor Servicesx
Antenatal, postnatal and psychiatric benefitsx
Prescription medicinesx
Hospital Types Covered
Public hospitals
Private hospitals - agreement
Private hospitals - non-agreementMinimum benefits
In Hospital Inclusions
Excess$500 per year per person
Public and Agreement
Prescription Medicines (in hospital)
Public and Agreement
Surgical implanted prosthesis
Public and Agreement
Accident and emergency services
Public and Agreement
Doctor services
100% of MBS
In Hospital Specific Services
Pregnancy and related servicesMinimum benefits
RehabilitationMinimum benefits
Psychiatric or palliative careMinimum benefits
Gastric BandingMinimum benefits
Bone marrow and organ transplantx
IVF and Assisted repoductive servicesx
Cosmetic surgeryx
Emergency ambulance services
Gap scheme
Repatriation to home country
Waiting Periods
In-patient psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care2 months
Pre-existing conditions12 months
Pregnancy and related services12 months
Out of hospital prescription medicinesx


What happens after I arrived in Australia?

Once you arrive in Australia it is important that you ACTIVATE your health cover. You can do this online, via email or phone call to CBHS. You will also need to inform CBHS what your address and other contact details are in Australia.

How will I receive my membership card?

Once you activate your health care cover, you will receive your membership in the mail within three business days. This card is what you use upon attending doctor appointments, hospital admissions or any other health care claims.

Do CBHS International need to see my passport or visa documents?

CBHS International Health may ask you to provide a copy of your passport and/or visa for any person covered by the CBHS International Health Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy before paying benefits.

By submitting an application for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you consent to CBHS International Health verifying your visa details with DoHA.

Who is covered under the CBHS OVHC insurance policy?

This will depend on the type of cover you buy with CBHS. Your certificate will tell you what cover you’ve bought.

  • Single: cover for just you
  • Couple: cover for you and your spouse or de facto partner
  • Family: cover for you, your spouse or de facto partner, and your dependent children under the age of 18 who are living with you in Australia
  • Sole Parent: cover for you and your dependent children under the age of 18 who are living with you in Australia
What does CBHS International Overseas Student Health Cover NOT cover?

CBHS International Overseas Visitor Health Cover does not cover you for the following:

  • Non-admitted hospital psychiatric services
  • Assisted reproductive services
  • Cosmetic surgery
  • Stem cell, bone marrow and organ transplant
  • Other services for which a Medicare benefit is not payable.
When will I receive my visa compliance letter?

Once you purchase Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) you will immediately receive a Certificate of Insurance for your visa. You will need to provide proof of purchase of your OVHC when applying for your student visa, extension or renewal application.

Book an appointment today for a commitment free briefing with our Registered Migration Agents to find more about your visa options.