The Department of Home Affairs allows the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Government to nominate applicants for the following visa types:
- Skilled Work Regional Visa (Provisional) – Subclass 491
- Skilled Nominated Visa (Permanent) – Subclass 190
If you are interested in being considered by the ACT Government, you need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) visa SkillSelect. SkillSelect is the program administered by the Department of Home Affairs.
To apply for an ACT nomination, you must complete the Canberra Matrix. This is a means of ensuring the process is fair and equal. It selects applicants who will be most valuable to the Canberra region. To estimate your total score, you can use our Canberra Matrix Calculator.
To apply for the ACT Nomination, there is a non-refundable service fee of $300 which is charged for the processing of the applications. This is an administration charge only and does not guarantee an approval of the application for ACT nomination.
ACT Nomination Requirements
The ACT Nomination Program has specific requirements depending on the nomination pathway you are applying for. To view more detailed information regarding the nomination requirements, see our page on ACT Skilled Migration Nomination Requirements (190 and 491 Visa).
ACT Nomination Pathways
- Canberra Residents
To follow this pathway, you must be living in Canberra.
- ACT 491 Nomination – to apply you must be living and working in Canberra for at least 3 months
- ACT 190 Nomination – to apply you must be living and working in Canberra for at least 6 months
- Overseas Applicants
To follow this pathway, you and any dependents cannot be in Australia.
- ACT 491 Nomination – to apply, you must have at least three years relevant experience in your nominated occupation
- ACT 190 Nomination – to apply, you must have a genuine ACT job offer in your nominated occupation
- Doctorate Streamlined Nomination
The ACT offers this pathway to holders of a Doctorate completed at an ACT university. To apply for this pathway, you must meet the following criteria:
- Canberra resident – you are living in Canberra, and you completed a professional or research doctoral degree at an ACT university
- Interstate/overseas applicant – you were awarded a professional or research doctoral degree from an ACT university in the last two years
- Significant Economic Benefit
This stream allows the ACT Government to invite individuals to apply for ACT Nomination if their employment is considered to be of significant economic benefit to the Territory. You cannot request to apply for this stream. The invitation can only be initiated by the ACT Government.
ACT Critical Skills List
The ACT Occupation List identifies the skills that are currently in demand in Canberra (for migration purposes). The ACT Occupation List is used to determine the eligibility for ACT support of the following programs:
To determine whether your occupation is in high demand in the ACT, see our page on ACT Critical Skills List.
Canberra Matrix Invitation Round: 5 April 2023
Matrix nominating Small Business Owners
- 190 nominations: 11 invitations
- 190 minimum matrix score: 70
- 491 nominations: 3 invitations
- 491 minimum matrix score: 60
Matrix nominating 457 / 482 visa holders
- 190 nominations: 7 invitations
- 491 nominations: 1 invitation
Matrix nominating Critical Skill Occupations
- 190 nominations: 281 invitations
- 491 nominations: 227 invitations
Matrix nominating Critical Skill Occupations:
- 190 nominations: 154 invitations*
- 491 nominations: 1,403 invitations*
- Industries We Work With
- ACT – Skilled Visas for Medical Professionals
- ACT Skilled Migration Nomination Requirements (190 and 491 Visa)
- New Guidelines on the ACT’s 190 Nomination Program
- ACT Canberra Small Business Owner Pathway – 491 visa
- State requirements for 190 visa
- Canberra Matrix Points Calculator
- ACT Critical Skills List