Invited for other social and cultural activity
Subclass 408 – Invited for other social and cultural activity (Invited Participant) lets you come to Australia if you are invited to participate in a community-based event, including sporting events. You and your family who travel on the visa with you can stay here for up to 3 months.
With this visa, you can
- take part in a community-based event for a cultural or social activity such as a sporting, religious, artistic or academic event, or a conference
- travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid
- include members of the family unit in your visa application
- You must have been invited to take part in a community-based event in Australia
Examples of cultural or social events
You might be:
- an individual sportsperson or member of a sports team, or team support staff such as a manager, medic, coach, referee or official. But you are not eligible for this stream if you have been contracted to play for or coach an Australian team
- a minister conducting religious services or taking part in other religious activities as the guest of an Australian religious institution
- working at a religious event
- an academic invited by a tertiary academic institution to lecture, hold workshops or take part in research
- a public speaker or lecturer
- speaking, presenting or lecturing at a trade fair, expo, exhibition, conference, workshop or seminar
- an entertainer attending specific promotional events, but not performing
- an artist making visual art or exhibiting your work
- an author, presenting your work to an audience at a writers festival
- a choreographer conducting a dance workshop that includes an unticketed closing performance
If you are a competitor in a non-sporting competition such as a dance competition, music competition, online gaming competition or student competition, you might also consider a Visitor visa.
Other visa options
Depending on your reasons for travel, another stream of this visa or a different visa might be more suitable.
The Entertainment stream must be used if you are:
- an entertainer or performer working in the Australian Entertainment industry
- production crew for a competition being filmed in Australia
- a journalist or other media personnel covering an event for an Australian audience
The Sports stream might be more suitable if you are:
- a sportsperson contracted to play for or coach an Australian sporting team
- a sports trainee taking part in a high-level structured sports training program of more than 3 months
The Religious Work stream might be better for you if you are doing full-time religious work.
The Research stream might be better for you if you are invited by a tertiary academic institution to take part in research for more than 3 months.
The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) (subclass 400) visa might be more suitable if you are:
- a journalist or other media covering an event, where coverage is not intended for an Australian audience
- someone else working at the event,such as a project manager or specialised construction worker
A Visitor visa might be more suitable if you are:
- attending or taking part in a trade fair, expo, exhibition, religious or cultural event, conference, workshop or seminar, but you are not entertaining or being paid to contribute
- an amateur sportsperson training or taking part in a recreational match
- an unpaid volunteer supporting an amateur sportsperson or team
You need a supporter
You don’t need a sponsor to apply for this visa if you:
- apply outside Australia, and
- intend to stay for less then 3 months
You must have a supporter to apply for this visa.
You need a sponsor
You need a sponsor to apply for this visa if you in apply in Australia.
Processing times: 35 – 50 days
- Australian Government Endorsed Events (COVID19- FIFA World Cup)
- Domestic Work for Executives
- Entertainment Activities 408 Visa
- Invited for other social and cultural activity
- Religious Work Stream 408 Visa
- Research Activities 408 Visa
- Special Program
- Sporting Activities 408 Visa
- Staff Exchange Arrangements
- Superyacht Crew
Book a consultation for a commitment free briefing with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find more about your visa options.