What is eligible Training for the 407 Training visa?
The Training Visa Subclass 407 is a short stay visa for people to complete occupational training activities to improve skills for your career or area of study, or in a professional development training program in Australia.
For a general overview of the Training visa, please click here.
To be eligible for the visa, your sponsor/employer must have nominated you to join in a program of occupational training. The requirements for the nomination differ depending on the purpose or type of training. There are three different types of nominations:
- Occupational training required for registration – Provide workplace training to gain occupational registration, membership, licencing to work in an occupation in Australia or your home country.
- Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation– Provide training that is tailored and timed in relation to an occupation specified on 407 Training Visa Occupation List
- Occupational training for capacity building overseas – There is three types:
- Overseas qualification – Training for students who are currently enrolled in a foreign education institution and must complete a period of practical training, research or observation to get their qualification and the training must be tailored to the training needs of the person.
- Government support – Training which is supported by government agency in Australia or your home country.
- Professional development – Face- to-face teaching in a classroom in Australia for managerial or professional employees.
Occupational training for registration
To be nominated for this type, the training must be necessary for you to obtain registration, membership or licensing in Australia or your home country. Therefore, this nomination type would not be suitable if you are already working in the occupation. It is also not suitable for people to seek a professional association e.g. an accountant who wants to become a chartered accountant.
Your sponsor must submit a letter from the regulatory body in Australia or your home country to prove that training is necessary to obtain the registration to work in the occupation.
The length of the training would depend on the registration requirement.
Occupation training to enhance skills
This training must be structured workplace -based training tailored specifically to your training needs. Only certain occupations are eligible for this nomination. To check if your occupation is relevant, please see here. The training provided by the sponsor must be related to the occupation.
Other criteria for this nomination is that you have recent and relevant experience. You must have at least 12 months full-time experience in the occupation and this must have occurred in the 24 months immediately before the time of nomination. The experience may include employment or study experience.
The duration of the training would depend on the training required to ensure that your skill level would match the skill level prescribed by ANZSCO.