Police Check – Overseas

Obtaining a police certificate from overseas

DHA may ask you to provide a police certificate (also called a penal clearance certificate) from every country you lived in. If DHA ask you for one, it will usually be if you are over 17 and lived in any of the listed countries, including Australia, for at least 12 months in the past 10 years.

Police certificates are valid for 12 months from the issue date. They must cover:

  • the time you turned 16 up to the issue date
  • the whole time you were in the country

See how to apply for an overseas police certificate in the relevant countries.

Contact your nearest Australian immigration overseas office if a country you lived in is not listed or you cannot get a certificate.

New Zealand visa Police check requirements

You and family members included in your application who are aged 17 and over, and will stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months (this includes any time you have already spent in New Zealand), must provide police certificates from:

  • your country(s) of citizenship
  • any country(s) you’ve spent more than 5 years in since turning 17.

Please provide an update as to progress and keep evidence such as receipts that police clearances have been applied for.

Police reports are valid for 6 months from date of issue.

Note: If you sent INZ a police check with an earlier visa application, you don’t need to provide another one unless it’s been more than 2 years since the last one was issued.


Other resources:

  • Accounts
  • Pay online
  • Google Meet instructions
  • full-face view passport photograph per requirements for all family members
  • evidence of your de facto relationship
  • A sample reference letter can be seen here. Please note that the main duties should align with your nominated occupation, Chef :  (For your guidance only, please do not copy job descriptions wholesale) https://visaenvoy.com/sol/chef/
  • A Consumer Guide can be accessed here for your reference and our Code of Conduct here.