Aged Care Industry

The Aged Care sector works to support the health, dignity and lives of people who are aged and may require additional support. This industry concerns care provided in aged care facilities and care offered to the elderly by close family members. Due to the impact of COVID-19, aged care facilities have been negatively impacted through a limited workforce and reduced quality of services. In contrast, the re-opening of international borders has provided opportunities for families to reunite and there is a renewed demand for aged parent and carer visas. If you have skills in the Aged Care industry or you are looking to bring your elderly parents or family members to Australia to offer care and support, VisaEnvoy can assist you in this process.

Related: Aged care industry Labour Agreement

Skilled Migration

Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)

The Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List indicates the relevant occupations that are in high demand in Australia to fill labour shortages in various sectors due to the impacts of COVID-19. The following occupation related to Aged Care are on this list:

Employer sponsored nominations and visa applications with an occupation on the PMSOL will be given priority processing.

Occupations in the Aged Care Industry

There are several types of occupations that are valuable to the Aged Care industry. For further information regarding the skills and qualifications of aged care-related occupations see below:

Additional information regarding Medical Professionals and Employer Sponsored Visas can be found below.

Short Term Skilled Occupation List – PR Pathways

The occupation Enrolled Nurse – ANZSCO 411411, is on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). For information regarding the available pathways to permanent residency in Australia for occupations on the STSOL, see our page here.

Visa Options for Aged Family Members

There are several types of visas suitable to bring your aged family members to Australia to offer adequate care and support. The following visa types are relevant to aged care:

Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804)

This visa type allows aged parents who are already on a temporary visa to remain in Australia to live permanently if their child is:

  • Australian Citizen;
  • Permanent Resident in Australia; or
  • Eligible New Zealand Citizen settled in Australia
Aged Dependent Relative Visa (Subclass 838)

This visa type is for an aged person who is single and wishes to remain in Australia indefinitely. They must demonstrate their support network by having a relative in Australia that they can be financially dependent on. This visa must be applied for in Australia.

Carer Visa (Subclass 116 and 836)

The Carer Visa allows individuals to come to Australia to provide care to their elderly relatives who require support for long term of permanent medical conditions.

Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Temporary) (Subclass 884) & (Permanent) (Subclass 864)

The Contributory Aged Parent Visa allows aged parents to:

  • Live in Australia for two years
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 864) which allows you to live in Australia indefinitely
  • Must be 65 years or older meaning you will be eligible for the Age Pension in Australia

Book an appointment today for a commitment free briefing with our Registered Migration Agents to find more about your visa options.