Chief Information Officer – ANZSCO 135111
- Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates the ICT strategies, plans and operations of an organisation to ensure the ICT infrastructure supports the organisation’s overall operations and priorities.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Chief Technology Officer
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Chief Information Officer is Australian Computer Society (ACS). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Four application types available for Migration purposes
- Pathway A – Temporary Graduate (TG)
- For graduates that have completed an Australian Bachelor degree or higher. This is a qualification only skills assessment and can only be used to apply for a subclass 485 visa
- Your degree must be an ICT major and closely related to your nominated occupation. You are not required to have worked in the field.
- Pathway B – Post Australian Study (PAS)
- For graduates that have completed an Australian Bachelor degree or higher and would like a skill assessment for migration purposes in general. Relevant ICT employment or completion of an ACS Professional Year program is required.
- You will require an Australian bachelor’s degree or higher with a major in ICT which is closely related to the nominated occupation (ANZSCO) plus one of the following requirements for a suitable skills assessment:
- 1 year of relevant work experience completed after the completion date of the relevant Australian degree, or
- Completion of an ACS Professional Year Program
- Pathway C – Skills
- This is a general skills assessment application to assess tertiary ICT qualifications and ICT employment
- You will require a Qualification comparable to AQF Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major +2 years experience in the last 10 years; OR
- Qualification comparable to AQF Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Minor + 5 years experience in the last 10 years; OR
- Qualification comparable to AQF Diploma or Vendor Certification + 5 years experience in the last 10 years
- Pathway D- Recognition of Prior Learning
- For applicants who hold qualifications with insufficient or no ICT content, or applicants who do not hold any ICT qualifications.
- You will require Non ICT Qualification comparable to AQF Diploma or Higher + 6 years relevant work experience; OR
- No tertiary qualification – work experience only + 8 years relevant work experience
- Pathway A – Temporary Graduate (TG)
Potential Visa Pathways for Chief Information Officers
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Medium Term)|
|135111||Chief Information Officer||ACS||x||x||x||x||x||√||√||√||√|
Group: 1351 ICT Managers
- plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the acquisition, development, maintenance and use of computer and telecommunication systems within organisations.
- analysing information needs and specifying technology to meet those needs
- formulating and directing information and communication technology (ICT) strategies, policies and plans
- directing the selection and installation of ICT resources and the provision of user training
- directing ICT operations and setting priorities between system developments, maintenance and operations
- overseeing the security of ICT systems
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 135111 Chief Information Officer
- 135112 ICT Project Manager
- 135199 ICT Managers nec
If you have an employer who is willing to sponsor you, you may be eligible for a Subclass 186 visa. This visa is permanent and will allow you to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely. To be eligible for this visa, you need to have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and a positive skills assessment. Alternatively, if you are a holder of a Subclass 457 or TSS visa, you can apply for Subclass 186 after working for your employer for at least 3 years under the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
The 407 visa a short stay visa for individuals to participate in occupational training or professional development in Australia. This visa is generally valid to stay in Australia for 2 years. Please note this visa is subject to condition 8102 which forbids work apart from the training that is specified in the visa application. You are also required to maintain health insurance whilst in Australia.
To be eligible for visa 407, you need to meet the following criteria:
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
The Subclass 482 visa is a Temporary Skill Shortage visa that requires a sponsorship from an Australian employer. This visa allows to your live and work in Australia for up to 4 years. You may apply for as many 482 visas as you want, as long as the employer is willing to sponsor you.
Study Pathway to Chief Information Officer
To become a Chief Information Officer, you usually need a bachelor degree in information technology or computer science and extensive experience in the ICT industry.
Bachelor of Information Technology
- Duration: 3 years
- Total Course Cost Approx: $99,100 AUD
- Completion of Australian Year 12 or equivalent
- Previous studies in Mathematics is required and previous studies in Calculus is desirable
- English proficiency requirement – IELTS 6.0 overall with no band less than 6.0
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Business
- Master of Information Technology