Marketing Specialist Pathway to PR

For marketing specialists who wants to migrate to Australia, we have outlined the procedures involved in applying for a permanent residency visa in Australia.

  1. Complete a relevant qualification.
  2. Work for at least one year as a marketing specialist.
  3. Apply for skills assessment
  4. Upon receiving a successful outcome by the skill assessing authority, you can proceed to apply for a visa in Australia.
Skills Assessment – VETASSESS

To be able to apply for a permanent residency visa, you are required to have a skill assessment. For marketing specialists, the skill assessing authority is VETASSESS. VETASSESS assesses a range of occupation and the occupations are grouped into different categories, thus depending on the occupation, they have different criteria. For marketing specialist, you are considered to be in Group B.


VETASSESS looks at both your qualification as well as your work experience to assess whether you meet the requirement of a marketing specialist.

The general requirement is that if you have a highly relevant qualification that is comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree or higher (e.g. Master or PhD), you must show at least one year of post-qualification work experience as a marketing specialist. This one year of employment must be within the last five years.

If your qualification is not highly relevant, then you must show that you have three years of post-qualification work experience as a marketing specialist. This experience must also be within the last five year. However, if you have a diploma in the relevant field then you would only need to show two years instead of three years of working experience.

In some cases, pre-qualification employment can be considered for marketing specialists.

Highly relevant qualification includes a Bachelor, Master or PhD in:

  • Marketing
  • Advertising
  • Business Communications
  • Business Management qualification possessed by applicant with sales or marketing experience.
Potential PR Pathway

Marketing Specialist is on the short-term skilled occupation list. This means that there are fewer options for PR pathway.

Skilled visas:

Points will be given to you based on the following:

Subclass 190 – Skilled Nominated Visa

Subclass 190 visa allows you to live, work and study in Australia permanently. It is a points tested visa. The minimum points to be eligible to apply is 65 points. For the subclass 190 visa, you must have a state who is willing to nominate you. States have their own occupation list. If marketing specialist is on the state occupation list and you meet all the state’s eligibility criteria, you can apply to the state to nominate you.

Subclass 491 – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa

Although this visa is not permanent. It can lead to a permanent visa (Subclass 191 – Skilled Regional Visa). The Subclass 491 visa allows you to live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia. It is also a points tested visa. The minimum points to be eligible to apply is 65 points. Another criterion of this visa is that you are nominated by a state or sponsored by an eligible relative. To be nominated by the state, you must check the state’s occupation list and meet all the state’s requirements. To be sponsored by your eligible relative, your relative must be a usual resident in a designated regional area of Australia.

Employer Sponsored Visas:

Subclass 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional Visa)

You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.

Subclass 191 -Permanent Residence Skilled Regional Visa

This visa will come into effect on 16 November 2022. It is for people who holds a Subclass 491 visa or Subclass 494 visa who have lived, worked or studied in the designated regional area for at least 3 years with a taxable income at or above $53,900. This visa will allow you to live work and study in Australia permanently.

Other pathways