Quarantine Officer – ANZSCO 311313
- Quarantine Officer inspects incoming animals, plants, and animal and plant products to ensure compliance with laws and regulations to prevent the spread of exotic pests and diseases.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Biosecurity Officer (Ministry for Primary Industry) (NZ)
- Quarantine Inspector
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Quarantine Officer is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma level WITH a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma level WITH an additional qualification at AQF Certificate IV in a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma WITHOUT a highly relevant field of study AND at least two years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years
- Applicants must meet both the qualification and employment requirements to obtain a positive skills assessment
Potential Visa Pathways for Quarantine Officer
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485 (Graduate Work)||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Medium Term)|
Group: 3113 Primary Products Inspectors
- Inspect animals, plants and agricultural produce and facilities to ensure compliance with government and industry standards with respect to quality, health and licensing.
- Inspecting animals, plants and agricultural produce to identify product quality issues, and providing advice to producers
- Auditing and monitoring quality procedures at farms and food handling and processing facilities to ensure compliance with required standards
- Testing samples of produce for quality, size and purity
- Ensuring that required standards of hygiene are observed at storage, processing and packing facilities and in transport vehicles
- Advising primary producers on economic aspects of disease eradication and informing producers and the general public of the health implications of diseases and impurities
- Advising on the identification of pests and diseases and on regulations pertaining to grading, packing and loading of products
- Examining imported plants and animals, and products, such as timber, seeds and dried fruits, and making quarantine arrangements
- Patrolling and investigating waterways for unlawful fishing activities and the removal of protected marine life
- Educating, advising and providing information on a wide range of topics relating to fish and their protection
- May initiate or assist in legal action to enforce regulations
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 311311 Fisheries Officer
- 311312 Meat Inspector
- 311313 Quarantine Officer
- 311399 Primary Products Inspectors nec
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.