Leather Goods Maker – ANZSCO 393112
- Leather Goods Maker fabricates and repairs leather articles such as wallets, cases, harnesses and saddlery.
- Skill Level
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Leather Goods Maker is Trades Recognition Australia (TRA). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Must have successfully completed an AQF Qualification either a Certificate III in Leather Production or formal training that is comparable
- Must possess skills that are current to Australian industry standards demonstrated by 12 months full time employment or equivalent part-time in the occupation in the previous three years
- If you have obtained a qualification internationally or an Australian qualification that was not through the Australian Recognition of Learning process, you are required to demonstrate 3 years full time or equivalent post-qualification experience
- If you have obtained an Australian qualification issued through the Australian Recognition of Learning process, you are required to demonstrate 3 years full-time or equivalent post-qualification experience OR 6 years full-time or equivalent experience which can be either pre- or post-qualification
Potential Visa Pathways for Leather Goods Maker
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485 (Graduate Work)||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Medium Term)|
|393112||Leather Goods Maker||TRA||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||√||x|
Group: 3931 Canvas and Leather Goods Makers
- Make and repair boots, shoes, leather goods, canvas and sailcloth articles, and related products.
- Cutting and preparing canvas, leather and sailcloth to design specifications, patterns and drawings
- Sewing, gluing and riveting sections of canvas together to make articles such as awnings, tents, tarpaulins and horse rugs
- Attaching grommets, fastenings and other fittings to canvas goods
- Joining parts of leather articles using rivets, hand sewing, sewing machines, tools and adhesive
- Restoring and repairing leather articles
- Fabricating sails
- Designing patterns and prototypes of boots and shoes
- Making and grading patterns using manual and computerised methods
- Clicking synthetics, corrected grains, leather linings and leather outers by hand and machine
- Altering and repairing footwear
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 393111 Canvas Goods Fabricator
- 393112 Leather Goods Maker
- 393113 Sail Maker
- 393114 Shoemaker
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.