SHEV COVID-19 Concessions
The Australian Government has provided concessions to SHEV holders seeking to meet the SHEV pathway requirements who are impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. All SHEV holders (both current and former) seeking to meet the SHEV pathway requirements can count periods of time towards the pathway requirement if during a ‘concession period’ and while holding a SHEV, they:
- access Special Benefit payments, or
- are unemployed, or
- work outside a SHEV regional area in an essential service
The COVID-19 ‘concession period’ refers to the time period from 1 February 2020 until a future date yet to be specified due to the ongoing and unpredictable nature of the pandemic.
The reference to being ‘unemployed’ is a reference to the fact of not being engaged in employment.
This means that during a concession period, the following periods will count towards the SHEV pathway requirements:
- employment or study in a SHEV regional area, regardless of whether Special Benefit payments are received;
- employment outside a SHEV regional area in an essential service, regardless of whether Special Benefit payments are received;
- periods of unemployment (i.e. periods when the SHEV holder is not engaged in employment); and
- periods during which the SHEV holder receives Special Benefit payments.