How to request international movement records

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​International movement records show your entries and exits from Australia. It will not show which countries you travelled to or from. To get this information, contact the relevant authority of the country that you visited.

You can ask for a record of your specific dates of travel in and out of Australia (movement records) after 1981.

Note: For movements before January 1981, you will need to contact the ​National Archives of Australia.

They will not show the countries you travelled to or from.  If you need arrival or departure details for another country (not Australia), you will need to contact the relevant authority in that country.

Your movement records will show:

  • Your departure and arrival dates in and out of Australia from 1981 to now
  • If you were inside or outside of Australia for a certain period of time
  • How many movements (arrivals and departures) are on record for the period covered by the request
  • Name, date of birth, gender, country of birth​
  • Departure and/or arrival dates
  • Travel document numbers (i.e the passport number used for travel)
  • Port codes showing the Australian port of arrival or departure
  • Flight or vessel details, such as flight number
  • Visa subclass and expiry date at the time of travel

How can I request for a copy of my international movement records?

A new web enquiry form is available on the Department’s website from 1 June 2021.

This new form will enable authorised third parties and individuals to request International Movement Records. The form has three enquiry streams:

  • Requests submitted by individuals (‘Myself’)
  • Requests submitted by authorised third parties (‘Someone else’)
  • Requests for children <18 years of age (‘Child under 18 years of age’)

This simple digital service will eventually replace both the hardcopy and PDF versions of the 1359.  Over the coming weeks, the Form 1359 will be phased out.

If you have submitted a request for movement records prior to 4 June 2021, it will continue to be processed in the order of date received.  You do not need to submit a new request using the web enquiry form.

You can access the new IMR web enquiry form here Request for international movement records (

Can another person request my international movement record?

As a Registered Migration Agent, we can submit a request for an adult using the stream ‘Someone else’. We obtain written consent of the individual to access the records, and submit a separate request form for each adult in a family unit.

Please note that if you are submitting a request on behalf of a minor under the age of 18, you should use the stream ‘Child under 18 years of age’.

What to provide with your Movement Record application:

To help us DHA your movement records you will need to attach a copy of:

  1. Your Current Photo ID
    • Current photographic Identity Document (photo ID). This could be a passport, drivers licence or other government issued photo ID card.
    • Your photo ID must be valid – DHA do not accept expired identity documents.
    • Do not attach copies of old passports. DHA do not need these to find your movement records.
    • Do not submit a separate request for every passport you have held. DHA will provide Australian movement records across all of your passports (current and old).
  2. Proof of any name changes
    • If you have had another name, you will need to attach proof of your name change.
    • Documents to support a name change include:
      • marriage certificates
      • change of name certificates
      • divorce orders (decree nisi).
  3. Signed written consent (when requesting someone else’s movement record).
    • Attach signed written consent from the person you are requesting records for. The written consent needs to state that you can request movement records on their behalf and include the full name and signature of both parties.
    • Legal Practitioners and Migration Agents can attach a copy of Form 956 as written consent
    • If you don’t have written consent, or the person is deceased, you will need to request these records under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
    • Current photographic Identity Document (photo ID). This could be your passport, drivers licence or other government issued photo ID card.
    • Your photo ID must be valid. DHA do not accept expired identity documents.

Related News

35 Years or Under Age Limit for 485 Visa

Core Skills Occupations List (CSOL)

Bridging Visa R

Genuine Student (GS)

Mobility Arrangement for Talented Early-professionals Scheme (MATES)

NSW 491 Pathway 1 – Apply directly to NSW