Author – ANZSCO 212211
- Author produces literary or other written work for publication or performance. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications and experience.
- Skill Level
- Script Writer
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Author is Vocational & Education Training Assessment (VETASSESS). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Qualification assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher in a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher WITH an additional qualification at AQF Diploma level in a highly relevant field of study AND at least two years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher WITHOUT a highly relevant field of study AND at least three years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years
- Applicants must meet both the qualification and employment requirements to obtain a positive skills assessment
Potential Visa Pathways for Author
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485 (Graduate Work)||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Medium Term)|
Group: 2122 Authors, and Book and Script Editors
- Write, edit and evaluate literary works for publication and scripts for film, television, radio and stage productions.
- Creating and developing ideas and themes for written works, such as novels, plays, musicals, screen productions, educational texts, information texts and multimedia products
- Researching subject matter through original and secondary materials, interviews and other media
- Planning, organising and writing material
- Reviewing and evaluating manuscripts of novels, biographies, short stories, poems, educational texts and other books, and ensuring coherence of style and development of theme, plot and characterisation
- Advising publishers about potential of works for publication and conditions of publication contract
- Negotiating publication details such as royalties, publication dates and numbers of copies to be printed
- Reviewing and assessing stories and other material for film, television, radio and stage productions
- Directing the preparation of scripts to be read by announcers to introduce and connect parts of musicals, news, sports and special events programs
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- Occupations in this Group
- 212211 Author
- 212212 Book or Script Editor
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.