Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)

The purpose of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) or what is now called the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) brings together Australia’s federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs and immigration and border-related functions, working together to keep Australia safe.

Originally named the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) until September, 2013, then it changed to DIBP and most recently to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) which has managed the arrival and settlement in Australia migrants from all over the world, including refugees and maritime asylum seekers, since its establishment in 1945.

Department of Immigration’s objectives

The Department’s key responsibilities and objectives are:

  • provides information regarding education and training in Australia for students from overseas
  • administer the Immigration Program
  • transforming Australia’s visa system
  • managing migration program planning levels for each program year;
  • managing the refugee and humanitarian program
  • introducing visa options to help fill jobs in regional Australia
  • managing the Skilled Migration program
  • resolving legal status issues through the Status Resolution Service
  • Promote Australian citizenship and a multicultural Australia.

Some of the visas processed by DHA include:

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and Visitor Visa

  • The ETA is an electronic visa and without the need for a visa label or stamp in a passport. If you are taking a holiday in Australia for less than 3 months, you are required to obtain a Tourist or Visitor Visa prior to travelling.
  • The Visitor visa can grant you a stay of up to 12 months; Visit friends and family, cruise or have a holiday

Working Holiday Maker Visa

  • The Australian Working Holiday Visa gives young people between the ages of 18 and 35 the opportunity to work while travelling in Australia for a period of 12 to 24 months.
    Assess here for an Australian Working Holiday

Skilled Independent