Citizenship Australia Checklist

Prepare your documents

You need to provide evidence that you meet our requirements.

We need:

  • original police certificates
  • scans of your original documents if you are applying online
  • certified copies of all other documents if you have to lodge a paper application
  • as much information as possible to help decide your application
  • each document only once, even if you are using it to show more than one thing
  • all documents with your application if you can

Identity documents

We need evidence of your identity from birth to present.

With your application give us 3 documents that together will show us your:

  • birth name, date of birth and gender
  • photograph
  • signature
  • current residential address

We also need official evidence of any change of name.

If DHA are not satisfied of your identity, DHA can’t approve your citizenship application.

Evidence of date of birth and any changes of name

Provide a full birth certificate that shows your parents’ names. If you cannot give us a birth certificate, provide a family or household registration document or any other collection of documents issued to you prior to your arrival in Australia that collectively confirm your identity from birth

Documents showing evidence of a change of name include:

  • an official (non-commemorative) marriage or divorce certificate
  • change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or the relevant overseas authority
  • other official documents that show links between names you have been known by

Photograph and signature

Examples of documents include:

  • Australian driver’s licence
  • pages from your passport (photo, personal details, passport issue and expiry dates)
  • national identity card
  • UNHCR document
  • aircrew identity document
  • seafarer identity document
  • military identity document
  • proof of age card
  • student card

Evidence of residential address

Examples of home address documents include:

  • electricity, gas or water bill
  • rates notice
  • rental contract
  • bank statement

Evidence of arrival in Australia

Examples of first entry to Australia include:

  • current or previous passport
  • travel document with a visa, such as Document for Travel to Australia, PLO56 (M56) or Titre de Voyage
  • proof of entry, passenger list from National Archives of Australia

Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme

Get a letter from the Child Migrants Trust stating that you came to Australia without your parents:

  • between 22 September 1947 and 31 December 1967, and it was
  • under the Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme

Evidence of identity in the community

Give us a completed identity declaration and a passport-sized photograph. Get them both signed by someone with the correct authority.

Complete Form 1195 Identity Declaration (281KB PDF) if you apply online. You will need a separate declaration for each person included in your application.

If you apply on paper, complete the identity declaration in the citizenship application form.

Identity documents for a child 15 years or younger

We need documents for each dependent child included in your application, or for a child applying on their own.

You will need to provide:

  • full birth certificate showing parent’s details
  • passport or travel document
  • evidence of change of name if needed
  • a passport-sized photograph
  • identity declaration signed by an Australian citizen with the correct authority

Give us additional documents for:

  • any parenting orders relating to your child
  • adoption of your child if applicable


We need a passport-sized photograph of any dependent children included in your application, or for a child applying on their own.

The photograph must be:

  • less than 6 months old
  • good quality colour
  • a full-face view of your head and shoulders
  • taken against a plain, light coloured background

You can be wearing untinted prescription glasses or show only your face if you wear a head covering for religious reasons.

DHA do not accept laser copies of photographs.

The same person who completes your identity declaration must certify your photograph.

Good character documents

DHA need documents to assess if you are of good character.

Penal clearance certificates

If you have spent a total of 12 months or more outside Australia since we granted you a permanent visa, you need to give DHA overseas police certificates from every country, including your home country, where you have spent a total of more than 90 days since you turned 18.

Ask the country’s government or law enforcement authority for a certificate.

DHA might ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

Australian National Police Check

If you are 16 years of age or over, DHA will request a check on your behalf from the National Police Checking Service.

You need to give DHA:

  • a penal clearance certificate from every country in which you spent more than 90 days since you turned 18
  • a full record of convictions from New Zealand

We might ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

Supporting documents

You may need to give DHA extra documents to explain your current situation.

You will need to give us proof of:

  • eligibility for any exemptions, discretions and concessions
  • eligibility for the special residence requirement
  • residence (for New Zealand and British migrants)
  • your relationship with any children included in the application

Evidence of eligibility

Examples of eligibility documents include:

  • medical evidence of an enduring physical or mental incapacity from a specialist medical practitioner registered in Australia
  • medical evidence of permanent loss or substantial hearing, speech or sight impairment from a specialist medical practitioner registered in Australia
  • proof of your birth in Papua before 16 September 1975 to an Australian citizen parent
  • proof of your birth to a former Australian citizen who lost citizenship before 4 April 2002

Evidence of exemptions, ministerial discretions and concessions

Examples of documents include:

  • a letter or discharge papers from the Australian Defence Force or Australian Reserve Force that states when you served
  • proof of a departmental administrative error affecting your lawful or permanent residence status
  • a statement to support the claim that you would suffer significant hardship or disadvantage if we did not vary the residence requirement
  • a statement to support a claim that it would be unreasonable not to count time in a prison or psychiatric institution towards the residence requirement
  • proof of the Australian citizenship of your living or deceased spouse or partner (birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport)
  • proof of your relationship (marriage certificate, joint utility accounts, joint bank accounts, joint tenancy agreements, joint mortgage agreements for de facto relationships, a statement explaining the reasons why you were both overseas, such as a letter from an employer and evidence of your close and continuing relationship with Australia)
  • death certificate
  • proof of the Australian citizenship of the person with whom you have an interdependent relationship and your close and continuing association with Australia and a statement explaining the reasons why you were overseas
  • proof of eligibility for a fee concession (Pensioner Concession Card)

Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme

Get a letter from the Child Migrants Trust stating that you came to Australia under the Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme (without your parents) between 22 September 1947 and 31 December 1967.

Evidence to meet the special residence requirement

Examples of documents include:

  • a letter from the Australian Olympic Committee, Australian Paralympic Committee, Tennis Australia or government agency stating that you are seeking to engage in an activity and that the organisation is supporting your application for citizenship
  • a letter of support from your employer confirming details of your employment as a member of a ship or aircraft crew, or your work on a resources or sea installation, including time spent in the role
  • proof that although you have spent periods of time overseas, your home has been in Australia (presence of a spouse or children in Australia, evidence of property, tenancy agreements, rates notices or income tax payments)

Evidence of residence for New Zealand migrants

If you are a New Zealand citizen who was not in Australia on 26 February 2001 and held a Special Category visa, you need to give DHA a Centrelink certificate stating that you were residing in Australia at a particular time.

Evidence of residence for British migrants

If you are a British subject without proof of entry to Australia and you arrived before 1 January 1975, you need to give DHA:

  • employment records
  • taxation records
  • school records

Ask the National Archives of Australia to help with pre-1974 documents.

Documents relating to a child in your application

You will be required to give DHA evidence that you are the responsible parent, such as:

  • birth certificate
  • passport or other travel documents
  • endorsed passport-sized photograph as part of the identity declaration
  • proof of any name changes
  • any orders relating to the custody, guardianship or parental responsibility for your child
  • proof of adoption if your child was adopted overseas