New Australian Citizenship Test from November 2020
Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alan Tudge has announced new changes to the citizenship test. This is the first time in more than a decade that Australia’s citizenship test is getting a new update.
Mr Tudge said “Our Australian values are important. They have helped shape our country and they are the reason why so many people want to become Australian citizens.”
The new questions will focus on the nation’s values. From 15 November 2020 onwards, five of the 20 multiple-choice questions will test applicants on the values of mutual respect, equality, and democracy.
If you sit the test on or after 15 November 2020, you are required to pass all the questions on national values. You must also have a score of 75 per cent to pass the test.
These samples questions can be found on the Department of Home Affairs updated practice test.
- Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
- Should people in Australia make an effort to learn English?
- In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
- Should people tolerate one another where they find that they disagree?
- Which of the following is an example of contributing to the Australian community?
- In Australia, is it acceptable for a husband to be violent towards his wife if she has disobeyed or disrespected him?
- Should people’s freedom of speech and freedom of expression be respected in Australia?
- Do you agree that men and women should be provided equality of opportunity when pursuing their goals and interests?
Above are practice questions and may not reflect the actual questions on the citizenship test.
Impact of COVID-19 on the citizenship process
Due to COVID-19, citizenship ceremony will be delivered online via video-link. However, in some states, in-person citizenship appointments and tests are resuming. DoHA will contact applicants regarding the citizenship appointment and the test.
Despite COVID-19, in 2019-20 year, a total of 204,817 people became Australian citizens. The top 3 nationalities to received citizenship are India, United Kingdom and China.
Inherited assets and 188 visas
Massive changes proposed for the Migration System
Direct pathway to Australian Citizenship for New Zealanders
Exchange rates and business visas – Converting foreign currencies to AUD
Eligible investment and qualifying business criteria for 188 visa