Documents required for Australian tourist visa

Documents required for Australian tourist visa

Identity documents

Provide the pages of your current passport showing your photo, personal details and passport issue and expiry dates.

Also provide:

  • a national identity card, if you have one
  • proof of change of name, if applicable, such as:
    • a marriage or divorce certificate
    • change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, or the relevant overseas authority
    • documents that show other names you have been known by
Genuine visitor documents

Provide as much proof as you can to show you are visiting Australia as a temporary visitor only. This could include:

  • proof you have enough money for your stay and to leave Australia, such as personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, tax records or credit card limit.
  • a letter from your relative or friend in Australia, inviting you to visit. The letter could state:
    • their relationship to you
    • the purpose of your visit and length of stay
    • if you will be staying with them
      If this person will be paying for your stay, provide proof of their funds.
  • your plans while in Australia

Proof that you have reasons to return home such as:

  • a letter from your employer stating you plan to return to your job
  • proof that you study at a school, college or university in your home country
  • proof that you have immediate family members in your home country
  • proof that you can return home
  • proof that you own a house or other major assets in your home country
Character documents

Provide any military service record or discharge papers, if applicable.

Additional documents for parents requesting a longer visa

Parents and step-parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents who are requesting a visa that is valid for more than 12 months should provide us with a letter stating:

  • you are a parent or step-parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • you want to apply for a longer visa

You should also provide proof that your child is an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

DHA might ask you to provide proof you have adequate health insurance cover.


Have all non-English documents translated into English.

Translators in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

Translators outside Australia do not have to be accredited. But on each translation, they must include their:

  • full name
  • address and telephone number
  • qualifications and experience in the language they are translating

These details must be in English.


Do not get police certificates certified. You need to send us the originals.

Have all other original documents certified. This includes:

  • non-English documents
  • English translations

High risk countries

Financial Documents

  • Copies of bank statements (personal and business) over a period of time showing a consistent savings history.
  • Copies of documents which show any other funds or assets held.
  • Taxation documents for the last three years
  • If a friend/relative in Australia is paying for your visit then a Statutory Declaration stating the relative or friend’s support and evidence of their financial capacity to do so – for example a letter of invitation, bank statements and tax documents.
  • It is important to provide evidence of your own financial status even if your travel is being funded by a friend or a relative. Your own financial status is a factor we consider in assessing whether your personal circumstances would encourage you to return to your home country.

Employment details

  • If you are employed: Letter from your employer – stating your position and salary, length of employment, confirming your leave of absence and the name and contact details of the person providing the letter.
  • If you are self-employed: Business registration
  • If you are retired: Evidence of your retirement – for example a letter from your employer.
  • If you are a student: Evidence of your enrolment such as letter from your education institute.