Expansion of Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMAs)
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the Australian Government have reached agreement on the Goldfields Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA), which was approved by Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs, David Coleman, in March 2019.
The Goldfields DAMA is a five year labour agreement between the Federal Government, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the Shires of Coolgardie, Leonora and Menzies. The Goldfields DAMA aims to attract skilled migrants to work and live in Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Coolgardie, Kambalda, Leonora, Menzies, Kookynie and Ora Banda, allowing Goldfields employers to sponsor skilled overseas workers in specified industries that are currently experiencing critical skill and labour shortages. We always advocate that employment should be offered to Australians first. Where there is a skills shortage, we believe skilled migrants are critical to supplement the local workforce.
What occupations are included in the Goldfields DAMA?
What does the DAMA application process involve?
Is my business eligible to sponsor an overseas worker through the Goldfields DAMA?
Businesses can access the Goldfields DAMA if they are actively operating in the Goldfields region and:
- are viable and have been operating for at least 12 months
- have no history of not meeting its obligations to employees
- are looking to employ overseas workers to fill full-time positions with duties that align with one of the occupations on the Goldfields DAMA list
- can demonstrate they cannot fill the position locally with Australian citizens or permanent residents
- can provide terms and conditions of employment to overseas workers that are in accordance with those offered to Australian workers employed in the region.
Note: The Goldfields DAMA is an employer-sponsored visa program and individual workers cannot apply for a visa independently.
Do workers who migrate through the DAMA have to reside in the Goldfields?
What are the costs associated with a DAMA application?
How many applications for the Goldfields DAMA will be endorsed in the first year?
When will applications for the DAMA open, and who will assess them?
As a skilled worker, can I apply to migrate to the Goldfields under the DAMA?